Lucknow is an ancient city which is a symbol of Indian culture, historical architecture and Ganga-Jamuni culture. Grand and magnificent buildings like Bada Imambara and Rumi Darwaza are worth seeing in Lucknow, the city of Nawabs. Lucknow is known for ‘Awadhi Kitchen’, where you get to enjoy Mughalit and Awadhi cuisine. Lucknow is also famous for singing, dancing and crafts. Small museums and art institutions are also worth visiting.
Table of Contents
Short History Of Lucknow
Lucknow is an ancient city located in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. Its history is famous for culture, cultural diversity and historical importance. Lucknow’s historical importance dates back to the Gupta dynasty, when it was the capital of the Gupta Empire. Subsequently, it was imported from time to time during the reigns of the Indus Valley Civilization, Maurya, Gupta, Pala, Varman and Mughal empires. Lucknow’s most magnificent Awadhi architecture developed during the time of the Mughal rulers. The city became a cultural and luxury center during the reign of the Nawabs. During British rule after the Nawabs, Lucknow became the capital of Uttar Pradesh of British India and an important cultural and educational center in northern India.
5 Best Places To Visit In Lucknow
Here are 5 Best Places To Visit In Lucknow:
This Imambara is the most famous and grand tourist destination of Lucknow. Its famous maze and haunted house are worth a visit. Bada Imambara was built by Nawab Asaf-ud-Daula in 1784 AD. There is a beautiful garden with huge fountains around the Imambara. This Imambara is one of the largest architectural heritage buildings of North India and its structural performance is fascinating. The mosque located in the Imambara is also a magnificent architectural example and has an interesting structural design.
It was the mausoleum of the Nawabs who were in the form of a magnificent lord. The name Rumi Darwaza was taken from Nawab Asaf-ud-Daula’s favorite Rumi book. The influence of Mughal, Iranian and Turkish culture is felt in its architecture. The building above the gate houses the tombs of the Nawabs which are of interest to history lovers.
Lucknow’s historic city market, featuring superb original produce and local food shopping delights. Lucknowi chikan sardari, jewellery, luxurious clothes and chikanabadi bedsheets are available in Chaukhamba market. Here there is an opportunity to buy various items which attracts tourists. Chaukhamba is an interesting and colorful commercial street of Lucknow which remains a tourist attraction.
The Maze (Bhulbhuleya)
The labyrinth is located in the Bade Imambara of Lucknow. Exploring this exciting maze and finding the way out is a unique experience. Most of the roads and buildings are similar to each other, due to which people easily get lost in the maze. Maze is one of the major tourist destinations of Lucknow and tourists get a chance to enjoy an exciting experience there. It is important to take the help of a guide to explore the maze in a structured manner.
Gomti River Bank
Gomti River is an important river flowing in Lucknow city. Gomati river bank is a famous tourist destination of Lucknow which offers beautiful wildlife and refreshing weather experience. The banks of river Gomti is also famous as a picnic spot, where one can enjoy time with family and friends. Various sports and entertainment facilities are available here, through which people enjoy a pleasant trip.
To get more information about Lucknow Tourism, Click Here for official website.
Things To Do In Lucknow
- Hazratganj Bagh : A small and beautiful garden where you can enjoy the beautiful refreshing weather while relaxing. Hazratganj Bagh has a variety of trees and plants which make it an attractive resting place. There are also small fountains in this garden which further enhance the beauty.
- Amausi Bagh : This huge garden is famous for its excavated palace, gardens, and water stream. Various types of flowers and plants are attractive in this garden. Amausi Bagh is one of the major tourist places of Lucknow and people come here to enjoy its beauty.
- Ramji Meherban Bagh : It is a pleasure to enjoy the fountains, gardens and beautiful trees and plants of this garden. Ramji Meharban Bagh was built in the name of Nawab Ramji in the nineteenth century.
- JAMA Masjid : This Islamically decorated mosque is located near the Imambara and is famous for its beautiful architecture. It is considered an excellent example of Mughal architecture.
- Indira Gandhi Garden : A peaceful garden where people enjoy peace and relaxation.
- Botanical Garden : This garden is decorated with different species of flowers and plants and is a good place to enjoy the natural beauty.
Places To Visit In Lucknow : Famous Foods
Lucknow city is a famous place for Indian food and offers a wide variety of food. Awadhi cuisine is a famous cuisine of Lucknow, which includes Mughaliyat and Awadhi cuisine. These include Chole Bhature, Tunde Kebab, Mutton Biryani, Makhan Malai, Galouti Kebab, Paya, Imarti, Dahi Bhalle and Lucknowi Chaat.
How To Reach
- By Air: Lucknow has Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport, from which you can reach Lucknow by taking flights from within the country and abroad.
- By Train: Lucknow Railway Station is one of the major stations of Indian Railways. From here you can easily reach Lucknow by train.
- By Bus: Lucknow Bus Stand is also available for bus services from various states and cities. You can reach any part of Lucknow by bus.
- Car/Taxi: Lucknow is easily accessible by road. You can also come here by your car or taxi.
If you wish, you can reach Lucknow by choosing any of the above options as per your convenience.
Nearest Cities From Lucknow
- Kanpur: The distance from Lucknow to Kanpur is approximately 80 kilometers. Kanpur is an industrial city of Uttar Pradesh and is counted among the big cities related to Lucknow.
- Gorakhpur: The distance from Lucknow to Gorakhpur is about 250 kilometers. Gorakhpur is located in the northern region of Uttar Pradesh and the Gorakhnath temple here is also famous.
- Varanasi: The distance from Lucknow to Varanasi is about 300 kilometers. Varanasi is the holy city of Uttar Pradesh where the ghats of river Ganga, Manikarnika Ghat and Vishwanath Temple are famous.
- Agra: The distance from Lucknow to Agra is approximately 330 kilometers. Agra is located in Uttar Pradesh and is known for the world famous Taj Mahal.
Read This Also : Visit Japan Web And 5 Best Visit Places.
Places To Visit In Lucknow Related FAQ’s
– Are there time bound operations of tourist places in Lucknow?
Yes, tourist places in Lucknow generally open on timings from 10 am to 5 pm.
– Where are tour guides available for local tourist places in Lucknow?
You can also avail the services of tour guides for the major tourist places of Lucknow from the airport and local tourist offices.
– How to reach Lucknow from nearby cities?
There is Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport near Lucknow which you can reach by air. Apart from this, the city can also be reached from Lucknow Railway Station and Bus Stand.
– What is the weather like in Lucknow?
The climate of Lucknow is often tropical, with high temperatures from the summer months of April to June. The cold increases from the winter months of December to February.
– What is the local specialty of Lucknow?
Lucknow provides a glimpse of Indian culture, heritage and cultural traditions. Delicious food options, chicken workshop and chickenbari art is also a wonderful experience.